TUESDAY, May 26, 2020 (HealthDay News) — The World Health Organization has suspended use of the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine in a clinical trial of treatments of COVID-19 after a study revealed that patients taking the drug are at increased risk for death and serious heart problems.
In light of the study published last week in The Lancet, there will be “a temporary pause” of the hydroxychloroquine arm of the WHO global study into experimental COVID-19 treatments, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a press briefing Monday.
“This concern relates to the use of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in COVID-19,” Tedros said. Other treatments being tested in the trial, including the experimental antiviral drug remdesivir and an HIV combination therapy, are still being tested, he added.
Tedros said WHO experts will conduct a comprehensive review of all available data on hydroxychloroquine, the Associated Press reported.